Now we all know the BET Awards is something we all look forward to seeing especially #BlackTwitter. I’m not sure about you, but my Twitter family was all tuned in. Throughout the show (which was extremely long), we tweeted about any and everything.
Here are our TOP 5 Highs and Lows of the 2015 BET Awards (You’ve had a week and at least 4 times to watch it during the week. No excuses)
1. Hosts – I was very excited to see Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis Ross hosting the show because I love their hit show #Blackish. The two of them have great chemistry and it was shown throughout the show. They opened up creating their own lyrics to the Estelle song, Conqueror taking stabs at various artists. Anthony had us laughing with his Sam Smith impersonation while Tracey AKA TMurder gave Kevin Hart a few bars.
2. Kendrick Lamar’s Performance – Kendrick opened the show with something that all of us needed – Inspiration. Reminding us that we gon’ be ALRIGHT!! While I’m not up to date on Kendrick’s music, everyone on Twitter really enjoyed it. He called out police for their brutality against the African American community. He even stood on top of a police car during his performance. “But if God got us then we gon’ be alright”
3. Smokey’s Speech – Honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award, Smokey Robinson took it upon himself to address those ungrateful artists who take the opportunity to be where they are for granted. Well he went in for about ten minutes, honestly I think he was absolutely in line with what he was saying. Listen to your elders. Take heed lol
4. Empire – YASSSS JUSSIE!!!! The Empire boys Yazz and Jussie were able to perform once again. (poor Andre.. he was probably in the shower crying). If Jussie and Yazz go on tour, I am there. The most moving part of the performance was Jussie’s speech after his “You’re So Beautiful” performance. “Let the Supreme Court ruling be proof of how far we have come; let the deaths of our sisters and brothers be proof of how far we have to go. No one is free until we are all free.” Some say it was his 2nd come out performance. Who cares whether he’s gay or straight? He is an amazing artist. It was also awesome for Terrance and Taraji to win best actor and actress awards. Much Respect! Season 2 coming soon!
5. Bad Boy Reunion AKA Diddy Takes a Tumble – 20 years?!?! I felt old, but this performance took a chick alllll the way back! When Mase came out and then my boos from 112!! Now you can’t forget about the First Lady of Bad Boy, Faith Evans. She looked amazing in her red outfit. Of course Queen B made her appearance, but really what was the purpose of French Montana and Pharell (did I miss something?) Highlight of the performance was Diddy taking a tumble! That was a hard fall. Overall, If you didn’t get off the couch for a least a second then you don’t know music! I was just waiting on Da Band, Day 26, and Total.
1. Janet Tribute – When I first heard about the Janet tribute, I was very excited. I had a feeling Ciara would be a part of it, but wasn’t too sure about the rest. Can I just keep it 100? So the music cues and Tinashe starts dancing and we realize that they will only dance. No one will be singing. LAME IDEA BET! Tinashe and Jason Derulo could have been left out. They did not wow me. I honestly wasn’t moved by Ciara’s performance either. I know I’m not a dancer, but this was her time to kill it and she didn’t (just my opinion). Luckily, Janet came out and slayed with her all white to accept the award.
2. Rihanna and the duct tape – I’m assuming this had something to do with her “B**** Betta Have My Money” promo, but the cameras showing her duct taping Floyd Money Mayweather could have been cut out. Note: I did watch her 8 minute video and all I can say is “Don’t mess with RiRi!”
3. Alicia Keys and The Weeknd – Now any and everyone knows I love me some Alicia Keys and I will sing my heart out to a Weeknd performance, but Alicia sounded horrible and the Weeknd didn’t catch my attention with their rendition of Earned It.
4. Nicki and Meek – So they’re back together? Who cares? Their performance together was cool, but I only laughed at Meek with the Stevie J “give me kiss” face most of the show. Now we all knew Nicki would receive the Female Hip-Hop Award, but come on Nicki not knowing you were nominated for the Coca-Cola Viewer’s Choice Award.
5. Tamar and K Michelle – This was the battle of the ballads between the two. I guess their performance was them squashing their beef or nah? I love both of their music, but K Michelle definitely won in many categories. K Michelle performed well and her outfit was cute. Now Tamar…. Boo I luh ya, but those lashes and mink coat were FAILS. #BlackTwitter went in on her lashes, but apparently she was paying tribute to Diana Ross whom wore the similar look years ago. Hey Tamar, leave that ish in the past. Tamar and Michelle began to sing “If You Only Knew”, but the highlight of their performance was Mama Patti coming out and SLAYING!! Showing that she still has. SN: She and Charlie Wilson do not turn down the opportunity to perform.
Warning: Undefined array key "url" in /homepages/38/d249633535/htdocs/clickandbuilds/TheColorCommentary/wp-content/themes/kallyas/th-custom-hooks.php on line 55