Good day Sports Fans !!!!!
The NFL Season is upon us & Man O’ Man I can’t wait !!!! There’s been a lot of changes around the league over the summer, so let’s get into it !!!! Each Week until the start of the season, we will assess and discuss each division and conference.
This week, let’s begin with the AFC West !!!
- “Da Oakland Raiiiiders (In My Chris Berman Voice !!!): I Like what the Raiders are doing in an attempt to Improve the Franchise and getting to the Ultimate Goal …. Getting to & Winning a Super Bowl. Young QB David Carr has shown some tremendous growth and potential in his Rookie year. The front office has drafted well last and this year. David Carr of course Khalil Mack (LB), this year Amari Cooper WR (Alabama). The are still some questions with this Offense. Can RB Latavius Murray handle a full NFL season, as far as carries and production. Can and Will the O-Line keep David Carr’s uniform clean and give him time to find these new found weapons…… Addition of WR Michael Crabtree, RB Roy Helu (Formerly Redskins) and RB Trent Richardson, in which hasn’t showed the promise he did while in college….. “Roll Tide” !!! Offensive Depth is going to be a question mark as well at key positions (RB/WR/TE) The Defense of the Raiders has a mixture of Experience and Youth. DE Justin Tuck anchors this Defense along with Veteran Future Hall of Famer Charles Woodson and Young Phenom LB Khalil Mack. Adding LB Curtis Lofton who adds more Veteran Leadership. They’re still a little Inexperienced at CB, which can be vital in this division going against Demaryus Thomas (Broncos), Emanuel Sanders (Broncos), Malcolm Floyd (Chargers) and Jeremy Maclin (Chiefs). This Team is Building to Win Sooner than Later !!! I have the Raiders finishing better than last season (3-13 in 2014) coming in 3rd Place at 6-10, which may be a stretch. It at least doubles last years win total. This division was tough last year and will be again this year, especially with The Raiders overall improvements. 6-10
- Denver Broncos: What more can I saaaaay !!!! What more can he dooooooo !!! Peyton Manning. Arguably one of the Best to Do It !!! Can Peyton sustain another season of Production. Peyton did Lose a Key Weapon in his Arsenal from last year, TE Julian Thomas (Jaguars). Adding some stability on the O-Line with Mike Iupati (Injured now 6 weeks) would’ve helped. Can the O-Line with Iupati keep Peyton off his A** !?!? Emanuel Sanders is Sure to have another BIG Season (2014 – 101 Receptions 1,404 Receiving Yards and 9 TD’s) Demaryus Thomas, if he can stay healthy will also be a BIG Weapon for Peytons’ Regime. The RB position is where for me the Biggest question mark would be …. The Broncos have a R.B.B.C (Running Back By Committee) The Fleet would consist of C.J. Anderson, Montee Ball & Ronnie Hillman. The Broncos have been getting by with this system, however it has only gotten them to the Promise Land yet … A Super Bowl WIN !!! As we know Defensive Coordinator Vic Fangio has vacated his position and joined a Great Franchise, My Favorite….. “Daaaaaaaaa Bears” !!! LOL !!! On e of our generations Best Defensive Coordinator steps in and hopefully Better Balance the team as a whole. Wade Phillips !!! Broncos Defense will return some known Good Vets … LB Von Miller, LB DeMarcus Ware, LB Danny Trevathan, S T.J. Ward, Pro Bowl CB S Aqib Talib and drafting College Standout DE Shane Ray (Missouri) Health, as Always will and Coach/Unit Chemistry Will be Important. I have the Broncos Winning this division again this year (2014 12-4) with a record of 1 Better than last season at 13-3. I believe they will hit with the injury bug coming down the stretch of the season at key positions… WR, RB and Defense with DeMarcus Ware and Von Millers history. The Broncos Definitely make for some Great NFL Entertainment, however they don’t make it past the Conference Title at Best. 13-3.
- San Diego Chargers: Philip Rivers and Company. I’m quite sure Mr. Rivers is Feeling Good with that new contract he just signed, as would anyone of us ($84 Million $65 Guaranteed for 4 Years) The Chargers finished with a 9-7 record last season and can they get over the hump that has been haunting them for quite some time now. The Chargers can put up some numbers and compete with the Best of them, however its Always something that impedes their progress. This year is going to be Tough, can they band together and get the job done !?!? Their Offense goes as Rivers and The O-Line go. RB position has some question marks. They have some depth, however the Production is key. As mentioned with a division foe, R.B.B.C (Running Back By Committee) will be the case with the Chargers. Brian Oliver, Drafted Rookie Melvin Gordon, Reliable Danny Woodhead and Donald Brown. WR Malcolm Floyd, WR Keenan Allen and adding Stevie Johnson WR is going to give Rivers some weapons. Rivers, O-Line & Position players have to be Efficient. No Turnovers, Keep Rivers on his feet and Stay Healthy as much as possible across the board. Let’s address the Achilles heel of this team, The Defense ….. LB Manti Te’o has actually turned out to become a Solid Player in the league thus far. Defensive Line & Secondary is where this team lacks, as far as I’m concerned !!! Not Impressed with their Defensive Unit. I have the Chargers finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division this season with the same record as last year 9-7 record.
- Kansas City Chiefs: Andy Reid and The Arrowheads !!!! Andy Reid has Definitely brought a different Culture to this franchise. They sure weren’t winning prior to his arrival. QB Alex Smith will need to really Show-Up this season and become the Leader this team needs. He had a Respectable Season last year (3,265 Passing Yards 18 TD 6 INT 93.4 QBR) RB Jamal Charles is coming off a not as productive season compared to previous … (2014 – 206 Attempts 1,033 Rushing Yards 9 TD 40 Receptions 291 Receiving Yards 5 TD. 5 Fumbles) The Chiefs did add and lose in the offseason. Lost long time Chief WR Dwayne Bowe (Possession Receiver) and Added Jeremy Maclin (Deep Threat) O-Line is pretty strong. TE Travis Kelce. Depth at WR and Production at QB is going to be the question. The Chiefs Defense is Respectable !!! LB Justin Houston anchors this Defense. 22 Sacks in 2014. He was a half a sack away from breaking Michael Strahan single season record of 22.5 You have LB Derrick Johnson as well, who comes to play every weekend. DE Tamba Hali, Young LB Dee Ford (Auburn) The secondary is questionable with this Defense and Can or Will S Eric Berry be able to come back and be a force as he has been. The Chiefs finished 9-7 last season and I believe they will finish with the same record 9-7, maybe 10-6 at best … If Alex Smith/O-Line, Jamal Charles and Secondary can produce. 2nd or 3rd in the division, just like last year. 9-7
- Footnote: The Broncos will handle this division with ease. Will they get Peyton back to the Bowl???? Time will tell. The Raiders have certainly made some moves on both sides of the ball, is their inexperience going to hinder them???? They maybe on the edge of making the playoffs this year, definitely next year. The Chargers and The Chiefs will battle for the middle of this division. This division is 3rd toughest in the conference, behind the AFC North and AFC East.
- 2015 Predictions: Broncos, Charger, Chiefs & Raiders.
Next week, we will discuss the My Favorite Conference NFC. We will start with the NFC East ….. Stay Tuned Sports Fans !!!